Lindsey's Blog

Monday, August 14, 2006

Flying

Last week I went to Irvine, CA for work. I fell asleep with the TV on on Wednesday night, and woke up on Thursday to the news about the foiled terrorist attacks. I got a little upset. I started crying. I knew that nothing would happen, but that is not the kind of news you want to hear the day you are going to get on a plane. I really love traveling for work. Except for being away from home after working hours, it is my favorite part of my job. But still, every once and awhile, it bums me out. I am really comfortable flying, but sometimes a little part of my brain asks, what if the plane goes down? And then I start to think about how much that would suck. I'd die for work. I'd die because I was on a plane because I was going to work. But then I tell myself that I might as well think that everyday when I drive to work, because that is more dangerous. And then I feel fine. But I felt a little sad all day Thursday as I finished up work, and then took a redeye from LAX to Atlanta to Indy. I wasn't really scared, and I didn't have any problems with my luggage, but I was in airports and on airplanes for several hours, and it seemed like anything could set me on edge. Like, I almost started crying when I saw an older lady get on a bus and she had to use the hand rails to pull herself up. It as weird. But worst of all were the simple-minded, violent, bigoted things near-strangers would say to me. Like "'they' are all immoral over 'there;' 'they' have no conscience. We should just go over 'there' and drop like 5 nuclear bombs" or "we should just build a wall around the whole area and let 'them' all kill each other." And I just wanted to say, who's the 'they' and where's the 'there?' Some brown people in some vague area of the Middle East? But I didn't say that, because I didn't want to be rude. And I was trying not to cry. I wish that these situations brought out the best in people, made us appreciate all life more, made us realize that the human beings have placed themselves in a precarious situation, and made us realize how much work we have to do. That does happen for some, but it seems like for a lot of people, these situations are an excuse for bigotry. Not only is that wrong, but it doesn't even make sense! It inflames the situation, and creates undue suffering. If bigoted beliefs convince us that racial and ethnic profiling is OK, terrorists will adapt and find fighters who don't meet that profile. They will always adapt. I'm sad and disgusted that any people want to kill anyone. I'm touched by those who make the sacrifices in these situations. And I'm saddened by the reactions I've seen. Especially saddened because not only do people think these nasty things, but also because they seem to think their feelings are so right, are so justified, are so American, that they can say these things to me, a fellow white American, and I will fiercely agree. I am American. I am patriotic. I accept anger and sadness and fear as normal reactions, but I reject hatred, bigotry, and violence. I still love the country.

4 Comments:

At 8/17/2006 2:12 AM, Blogger Eve said...

Hi Lindsey! Thanks for adding me to your favorites! I'll be back to read again!

 
At 8/19/2006 3:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linds...I liked this blog! It has been a pain flying lately but at least the U.S. is taking measures to make sure we're safe :) See you soon!

 
At 8/19/2006 3:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah by the way it's Molly :) Hope everything's good in Carmel

 
At 8/21/2006 10:01 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Three comments--woo hoo! Proof of my massive readership! Ha ha.

Hey Moll! Hope everything is going good in Thailand. When are you getting back.

And thanks Eve for the comment. Everyone should check out Eve's blog. It's one of my favorites!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home